Sunday, September 24, 2017

If You Think I'm Urgent...

Complete transparency...  I lose sleep from feeling insufficient to lead such an amazing team.

I've been reflecting a lot on feedback I recently received as a leader.  I was told that I'm urgent and passionate and that I need to accept that it makes some people not want to work at VBE. 

Ouch.  Just ouch. 

I considered many things in reflection...

Should I tone down my passion and excitement?

Should I abandon accountability to be more likable?

Should I put kids second to ensure adults feel comfortable?

The answer is no.  

I certainly didn't get into education to be mediocre for kids, or run a sub-par program.  

We are on the rise because our team is urgent. 
Our teachers are invested.  
Our staff believes in the ViBE.  

We KNOW we can be the change in our kiddos lives! 

As a leader...

If I don't have a sense of urgency to help fill the academic gaps of our incoming kindergarteners, how can I expect our educators to?

If I'm not set on fire each day to give high-fives, hug kiddos, and show love; how can I encourage others to do the same?

If I don't insist that every child receives the services and interventions they need to improve, how can I expect the adults on our campus to?

If I don't stress over every piece of data, analyzing what adjustments can be made to help drive instruction forward, how can I expect our teams to?

If I don't commit to building relationships with our families and stakeholders, how can I expect VBE to fulfill its purpose in our community? 

If I don't show grace to students who need re-teaching and support to grow in their social emotional learning, how can I expect teachers to?

If I don't take time to value the importance of professionally growing through reading and collaboration, how can that be a goal on our teachers professional development plans?

If I can't be patient in helping #failforwards become learning opportunities for growth, how can I set that expectation for classrooms? 



I humbly say... if you think I'M urgent... you should meet my amazing staff!

If you think I'm passionate you should meet the principals I connect with daily on Voxer and twitter in #momsasprincipals and #principalsinaction

Passionate educators create passionate learners! 

So next time I hear, you're very urgent and passionate, my response will be, "thank you!"

Next time I hear I missed out on someone who thought VBE would be too much work, my response will be, "that's probably what's best for our kiddos!"

I'll take passionate and urgent over stagnant and complacent ANY day!

Maybe we can all use a little more


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I get your passion! I get the urgency! I believe you are right. I hope you have places and people to keep you energized and centered. I found the work of the Center for Courage and Renewal helpful. I have been in your role and would be glad to lend an ear any time. Keep up the good passionate work for kids and stay healthy!
    Best, Pat

    ReplyDelete