Saturday, July 13, 2019

Get on the wagon

No seriously, get on the wagon!

A little over three years ago I found the power of Twitter.  I joined in on chats with educators around the country and began getting inspired.  I started feeling less isolated as a principal and more connected, as I found other lead learners who had the same values and were willing to do whatever it takes for kids.  I embraced them and began to know them on an even more personal level as the connections shifted from monthly chats on twitter to daily connections on Voxer in the #momsasprincipals and #principalsinaction groups.  

The key is, I was open to trying it.  I prioritized the time and the connections.  I began to value the drive to work each morning that gave me a chance to share my life with my friends through the Voxer walkie talkie app.  They eventually became like family! 

Over the last three years we vented, we learned, we shared our ups, we got vulnerable, and we released our daily grind stresses to each other.  

Truth is: they saved me!  

They gave me hope, kept me focused, and helped me reflect.  

We push each other to get out of our comfort zones and this year I had the opportunity to present with 7 of these amazing leaders during a “disrupt administration” #naespBOOM session at the National Association of School Administrators Conference.  Talk about intimidating, presenting with colleagues that I admire so much!  I was able to share ideas around bringing literacy beyond the four walls of our school while these other leaders helped push the envelope in the areas of play, getting out of the office, reimagining faculty meetings, literacy, and faculty engagement.

 It. Was. Epic! 

If you haven’t attended a NAESP conference, get on board.  It’s one of the greatest learning experiences and networking opportunities you can have as a school leader. 



I’m so lucky to have found a tribe and I urge you to “get on the wagon!”  Build your PLN, put yourself out there on twitter, get invested in a daily Voxer group with educators that share your vision, and sign up to attend NAESP in Louisville, Kentucky next year.  You deserve it! 

Check out my #naespboom crew on twitter


If you missed our “Disrupt Admin” session, no worries! Access the presentation here: bit.ly/DisruptAdmin

Make a copy & reach out to us if you have any questions! #NAESP19 

No comments:

Post a Comment